Ukraine's European allies and Canada urged Russian President Vladimir Putin to respond immediately to a US proposal for a partial ceasefire that Kyiv has accepted without conditions.
Speaking to reporters Friday, French foreign minister Jean-Noel Barrot accused Russia of "flip-flopping" by continuing strikes on Ukraine's energy infrastructure despite a deal struck last month to halt such attacks.
"Today, Russia owes an answer to the US," Barrot said alongside UK foreign secretary David Lammy at a NATO gathering of foreign ministers in Brussels. "It has to be yes, it has to be no - it has to be a quick answer." "We see you, Vladimir Putin, we know what you're doing," Lammy said.
'Matter of weeks,' says Rubio
The appeal by some of Kyiv's key western allies is an attempt to call Moscow out on its willingness to reach a ceasefire. Emerging from three days of meetings with North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) foreign ministers in Brussels, US secretary of state Marco Rubio said it was "a matter of weeks, not months, whether Russia is serious about peace or not."
Having promised to achieve a rapid end to Europe's worst conflict since World War II, US President Donald Trump said over the weekend that he was "pissed off" with Putin. He later dialed back the criticism, saying he believed the Russian leader will "fulfill his part of the deal."
Dutch foreign minister Caspar Veldkamp said European allies were "very much converging" on the fact that Russia is dragging its feet in talks and wanted to see more pressure on Moscow. The Kremlin "has to come with a position" at some point or face consequences, according to Canada's foreign minister, Melanie Joly.
US special envoy Steve Witkoff and a Russian negotiator met on Wednesday and Thursday in Washington. The US is now waiting for Kirill Dmitriev, the Russian negotiator, to report back to Putin, according to a source. Rubio said he had a chance to meet with Dmitriev and "the the message is, the United States needs to know whether you're serious or not about peace."
Europe defence fund
In a separate development, a majority of European Union member governments favor inviting the UK and Canada to join the EU's proposed ?150 billion ($165 billion) defence spending fund, people familiar with the matter said.
More than half of EU members back the idea, while about half a dozen, also want to invite the US, according to the people.
( Originally published on Apr 04, 2025 )
Speaking to reporters Friday, French foreign minister Jean-Noel Barrot accused Russia of "flip-flopping" by continuing strikes on Ukraine's energy infrastructure despite a deal struck last month to halt such attacks.
"Today, Russia owes an answer to the US," Barrot said alongside UK foreign secretary David Lammy at a NATO gathering of foreign ministers in Brussels. "It has to be yes, it has to be no - it has to be a quick answer." "We see you, Vladimir Putin, we know what you're doing," Lammy said.
'Matter of weeks,' says Rubio
The appeal by some of Kyiv's key western allies is an attempt to call Moscow out on its willingness to reach a ceasefire. Emerging from three days of meetings with North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) foreign ministers in Brussels, US secretary of state Marco Rubio said it was "a matter of weeks, not months, whether Russia is serious about peace or not."
Having promised to achieve a rapid end to Europe's worst conflict since World War II, US President Donald Trump said over the weekend that he was "pissed off" with Putin. He later dialed back the criticism, saying he believed the Russian leader will "fulfill his part of the deal."
Dutch foreign minister Caspar Veldkamp said European allies were "very much converging" on the fact that Russia is dragging its feet in talks and wanted to see more pressure on Moscow. The Kremlin "has to come with a position" at some point or face consequences, according to Canada's foreign minister, Melanie Joly.
US special envoy Steve Witkoff and a Russian negotiator met on Wednesday and Thursday in Washington. The US is now waiting for Kirill Dmitriev, the Russian negotiator, to report back to Putin, according to a source. Rubio said he had a chance to meet with Dmitriev and "the the message is, the United States needs to know whether you're serious or not about peace."
Europe defence fund
In a separate development, a majority of European Union member governments favor inviting the UK and Canada to join the EU's proposed ?150 billion ($165 billion) defence spending fund, people familiar with the matter said.
More than half of EU members back the idea, while about half a dozen, also want to invite the US, according to the people.
( Originally published on Apr 04, 2025 )
You may also like
Federal judge blocks Donald Trump's attempt to dismantle Inter-American Foundation
Can't go to J&K, quiz witnesses virtually, SC tells Yasin Malik
SC on Delhi HC ruling: Should courts be so touchy about criticism?
Liverpool target's agent sets the record straight on transfer - 'I have no doubts'
BBC Beyond Paradise exit 'sealed' for main character after major health scare